COVID-19: Know Your Data Webinar Series

Hi all,

With COVID-19 and the ongoing global pandemic, we are being bombarded with more data than ever before, either in the media or across our social platforms. This week we launched our new webinar series, ‘Know Your Data’, to help people unpack the language used to describe charts, data and tables.

In our first episode, Kevin Hanegan, Learning Advisor to the Data Literacy Project & Chief Learning Officer at Qlik, is joined by Alan Schwarz, member of the Data Literacy Project Advisory Board and Pulitzer Prize-nominated writer, formerly at The New York Times, to discuss the terms ‘Flattening the Curve' and ‘Exponential Growth’. Check it out here:

We would love to hear your thoughts! And stay tuned for further episodes. 

Comments

• It's a bug bear of mine that the UK Government use different time ranges for displaying charts every day. For April 9, the slides included timelines for 1-29 March, 16 March - 8 April, 18 March - 7 April, 21 March - 7 April.

For me, I would have all the charts running from an arbitrary date, such as 1 March and key decision dates indicated to highlight the effect and drag of the decision made.

• That’s a great point @nedwos, thanks for commenting!

Does anyone else have any other bugbears over how the data is presented to us and the language used around it? Or how it could be done better? Great to hear your thoughts – plus they could potentially make their way into our Know Your Data webinar series too 

• Hi again everyone,

We’re excited to share the second episode in our Know Your Data series: Enough Tests Every day, around the world, we keep hearing about whether we are carrying out ‘enough tests’ – but what really does this mean?

To understand this, you first need to understand how sampling works. Without this, you can’t accurately read the data in front of you. Our hosts, Kevin Hanegan and Alan Schwarz, look at the language used around testing data. Watch it here: https://bit.ly/2yEBPlz

As always, let us know your thoughts!